The Student News Site of Divine Savior Holy Angels High School

The Word

The Word

The Word

Pinkalicious Bake Sale Raises $400 Dollars For Hope Street Ministries

On October 24th, 20 members of DSHA High School’s student lead, service team co-curricular, put together a pinkalicious bake sale where they had students bake hand-made treats to sell at students’ lunch hour. From one hour of selling treats this sale raised a total of $400 that was put towards helping out Hope Street Ministries. 

Hope Street Ministries is a community organization, located in the surrounding Milwaukee area, that actively works to serve women, men, and children in their community. The DSHA service team decided it would be a proper fitting organization to put the bake sale proceeds towards given October is the month of women’s wellness.

About two weeks before this bake sale took place, DSHA’s service team hosted executive director of Hope Street, Ashley Thomas, to come speak to the student body of DSHA. Service team was introduced to Hope Street through the Sisters of The Divine Savior when they awarded Thomas the women of faith award on September 21st.

Annabelle Leh, a junior attending DSHA High School, is one of the service team coordinators. After witnessing Thomas’s speech, Leh’s, “favorite point which she made was an analogy of our faith with a sunflower. Like a sunflower can always reorient itself towards the sun, we can always turn towards God and hope again, even if we must look through the shadows and darkness.”

Amongst many things, what particularly stuck out to Dr. Katie Pickart, a faculty member at DSHA who works in CMC, was how “Hope Street Ministries root is gospel based, and they do gospel inspired work, and there is a true sense of dignity for the whole person, it’s like DSHA wellness by focusing on the whole person in all aspects.” 

According to Hope Street Ministries website, the organization likes to take on the resemblance of a “green house,” because their mission includes “providing housing and community to empower broken men, women, and children to cultivate a relationship with Jesus, themselves, and others to restore hope that flourishing is possible for us all.” 

In Leh’s words, “The environment was so amazing, and everyone was so eager to participate in the sale. One of the things which I love about DSHA is that people are always supportive of the causes which are presented by students, and everyone loves a good treat!” 

With 25 students baking treats, and half a dozen students running the bake sale each lunch hour, student involvement was key to leading this bake sale to produce the profits put towards Hope Street, “there were over 450 baked goods, and everything was $1, so it was affordable and delicious! In the end we made over $400 for Hope street!”