The Student News Site of Divine Savior Holy Angels High School

The Word

The Word

The Word

‘Tis The Season… Or Is It?

When is it appropriate to listen to Christmas music?

Each year entering the Christmas season the debate on when to begin listening to Christmas music returns. Should it be the day after Halloween? Should we wait for Thanksgiving or even until December 1st? Thirty Dashers and TSC members have weighed in with their opinions to help conclude when the most popular time to turn on the Christmas tunes is. 

One-third of participants agreed that the day after Thanksgiving is the most appropriate day of choice. A more ambitious group of Christmas fans claim November 1st as their preferred start day, as the second most popular with twenty percent of the vote. Following closely behind in third is Mid-November with seventeen percent of the votes. Multiple students reference their November birthdays as a start date for listening. 

For more obscure opinions, a surprising seven percent of voters cited June and three percent said they listened to Christmas music all year round. Two participants had inconclusive answers, and did not have a strong opinion on when Christmas music should be listened to. 

The data collected at DSHA is relatively similar to a national poll issued by Bustle Hive. They concluded fifty-two percent of people believe after Thanksgiving is the most appropriate choice, followed by November 1st at twenty-six percent, and December 1st at nine percent.  

Therefore, DSHA students and staff prefer to save Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, but there is truly a large range of opinions. In the end, as one student says, people should begin listening to Christmas tunes “whenever their heart desires”. 

Atkinson, S. “Once and for All, an Answer to ‘How Early Is Too Early to Listen to Christmas Music?’” Bustle, 29 Nov. 2017, www.bustle.com/p/once-for-all-answer-to-how-early-is-too-early-to-listen-to-christmas-music-3908066.